Swimsuit Edition, Breast-Free Style

It's the time of year when spring flowers and balmy air inevitably lead to thoughts of summer and swimsuits. Like many women, I always found swimsuit shopping a bit of a trial. Since I had my bilateral mastectomy, it's been downright challenging. Until recently, I've mostly dealt with the issue by avoidance. A few weeks ago, all that changed.

My husband and I traveled to Key West with friends for a long weekend. I had known there would be a pool at our hotel but after trying on my two mastectomy suits, I decided not to bring them. I hated the way they looked on me and in addition, they weren't comfortable. Like most mastectomy suits, they were cut high in the front and under the arms. I realize that suits are designed this way so women will feel secure and scars won't show. But I can't stand suits that come up high under my arms. They chafe me, especially when I swim. So, off I went to Key West with no bathing suit.

It turned out to be a hot weekend and the pool provided a welcome respite for everyone except me. While my husband and friends enjoyed a refreshing swim, I sat on the edge of the pool dangling my legs in the water. I vowed that I would never let that happen again.

Back at home, I visited a few local stores, but found almost nothing in styles that suited me. So, I began scouring the Internet for options. Before investigating mastectomy swimwear, I decided to look for non-mastectomy suits that could be adapted . A friend who has lived breast-free for many years and is an avid swimmer always buys non-mastectomy swimsuits and sews inexpensive foam breast forms into them. So, I knew that could work, especially if I brushed up on my skills with a needle and thread.

First, I checked out Zappos.com, which has a huge swimwear selection. As I perused the styles and read the descriptions, I noted that a number of suits featured "removable soft cups," which are thin cups designed to provide a smooth shape over a natural breast. Since such cups require pockets, that meant there would be a place for me to insert a breast form.

Next, I searched for styles that might be appropriate. For me, that meant high enough in front but not high under the arms. I discovered a number of one-pieces and tankinis that fit the bill, with halter tops or inset straps. Since Zappos has a generous free shipping and return policy, I decided to order several and try them. Zappos and all of the companies mentioned below allow swimsuit returns, so long as suits are in original condition when returned, with sanitary strips and tags in place.

Most of the suits I received from Zappos didn't work out, but two of the one-pieces fit beautifully. I kept them and can now go to the pool with confidence and comfort. Among the various items that I ordered, I discovered that sometimes the pocket openings from which the "removable soft cups" could be removed were too tiny to allow insertion of a breast form, even a foam one. However, the pockets could probably be expanded by anyone reasonably adept at sewing. I also learned that the more expensive brands were the most likely to feature nice stretchy pocket openings. The suits I wound up with were by Michael Kors and DKNY and in the $100 range.

Even though I had found two suits that worked for me, I didn't stop there. I was on a quest! In the course of my research, I discovered a number of interesting possibilities.

I found a nice line of swimsuits called Hapari, marketed as "modest" swimwear that is "stylish and comfortable for all body types." Most of the suits are made with pockets for silicone inserts (enhancers), which can also be used for breast forms. When I spoke with a company representative, she said that Hapari has been selling swimsuits to an increasing number of women who have had mastectomies. I ordered a suit to try and, while the fit wasn't quite right for me, others may like the style and fit of these well-made, reasonably-priced swimsuits. If you decide to try a Hapari suit, make sure to check whether the style you like has pockets.

On the higher-priced end, there are some sexy, stylish suits offered for women post-mastectomy. Hilary Boyajian at Chikara Design uses fabrics in interesting ways to create great-looking suits. Veronica Brett offers fabulous-looking swimwear, more for lounging around the pool than serious swimming, but gorgeous nonetheless. And About the Girl features a line of very appealing suits, including cute bikinis and tankinis. About the Girl is based in the U.K. but will ship to the U.S. and other international destinations. As noted above, all of these companies allow returns.

My research next led me to Nicola Jane, a British mastectomy-product retailer which sells attractive suits, including some under its own label. Like About the Girl, Nicola Jane will ship to the U.S. If you'd rather not order from the U.K., a nice selection of Nicola Jane styles can be found at the Women's Personal Health Resource, a U.S. online retailer. The Women's Personal Health Resource also carries a couple of adorable mastectomy suits by Jamu, an Australian designer of mastectomy swimsuits. Please note that when you return a swimsuit to the Women's Personal Health Resource you will be charged a 15% restocking fee in addition to shipping charges (unless you are exchanging the suit for another item).

Spanx, the shapewear company, now makes swimsuits, including several with removable cups that might work well as a mastectomy suits. About the Girl offers one Spanx suit on its website, but this and others can also be purchased from U.S. sites and in local department stores.

I don't mean to give short shrift to major manufacturers of mastectomy swimsuits—Amoena and Anita have some very attractive suits in their current lines, and Land's End has been a consistent source of reasonably-priced mastectomy suits for many years. These three manufacturers tend to design mastectomy suits that come up high under the arms. If that's not a problem for you, you may well find a great suit from one of them.

Overall, I found the new emphasis on creating stylish mastectomy swimsuits heartening. Matronly mastectomy suits still abound, but now choices are available for those seeking something more youthful and attractive. For women who wear an A cup, though, it can still be hard to find mastectomy suits that aren't too big on top. Hopefully, the future will bring even greater selection and options for different cup sizes. In the meantime, for smaller women, wearing regular suits that feature removable soft cups may offer a viable alternative.

So, things are looking up when it comes to swimsuits for those of us who have chosen to live breast-free but still wear breast forms. If you prefer to go flat, some of the Chikara suits could work for you, as well as many simple tank suits and other designs. Happy swimming!

I welcome your comments, suggestions, and feedback about swimsuits that have worked well for you.

15 comments:

MiaW said...

Thank you for your research & a great post, Barbara! Last summer I bought a mastectomy suit from the internet, and was dismayed to realize how high the armholes were -- I find that uncomfortable, too. I have been really happy with the amoena Southport T tankini that I found in a local mastectomy boutique. But, I wasn't sure what I was going to do once it wore out -- thank you for sending so many options!

Barbara said...

Here's a comment that was emailed to me by Nancy:

I'm active, 49 and breast-free as of Dec. I just wanted to add that a rash guard (sun shirt, swim shirt) is great top coverage after finding a comfortable swim suit. They are usually UPF 50, nylon that dries quickly, and common and well-accepted on the west coast for sun protection at the beach or pool, and add a small bit of additional warmth from cool breezes. I don't know if the east coast or rest of the country has caught on yet, but styles and color choices are improving for women and I'm sure they can be found on-line with surf apparel (rash guards were originally designed as a thin layer to be worn under wetsuits to prevent underarm rashes but wetsuits have advanced so well they are no longer much needed for this, so they have advanced far beyond black only). I found a need for additional chest coverage beyond even what a mastectomy swim top offers when I went to Hawaii and went snorkeling. I didn't want small children snorkeling to have to view my scars underwater as I tread my arms to and fro, exposing what no mastectomy top could hide. After going to great lengths to add stretch lace above the "cleavage" area to conceal everything, in every position, even underwater, I decided it looked too much like a bra and removed the lace. I've decided that from now on I will wear a rash guard when snorkeling so I don't have to worry about looking like I'm in my "unmentionables."

Barbara said...

Here is my response to Nancy's comment:

That's a great tip! Thanks. I checked online and there are definitely some attractive-looking rash guards available. Do you always wear yours over a bathing suit? Or do you wear them with bra and breast forms for swimming? I saw a couple of rash guards online paired with tankini bottoms and they looked really cute. I have to be careful about sunburn on the radiated side of my chest (as I'm sure many women do), so a rashguard would certainly solve that problem.

Barbara said...

And here is Nancy's follow-up comment, answering my questions:

I wear my rash guard over a mastectomy bikini top that I made foam breast forms for. (I'm still working on perfecting the forms.) I also wear board shorts (surfboard shorts or water shorts, for those of you not familiar with west-coast lingo) over the bikini bottoms. (I don't like my upper thighs showing.) So I look somewhat like I'm dressed, but it's all waterwear. Rash guards are designed to fit somewhat snug so that they are not sloshing all over the place in the water and don't hinder swimming. Everything dries quickly. I can take off the rash guard or shorts as wanted for sun and breeze exposure or leave them on for cover-up or warmth.

I don't have silicone breast forms, just foam ones. I would think that if you want to wear silicone forms in the water, you would need to wear your bra underneath the rash guard (unless your forms are a small size and weight, maybe). I've worn a bra under a rash guard while jumping waves in the pacific with my kids prior to chest surgery. You just don't have the options of changing your layering around if you do that.

Ginny Marie said...

This comment may be a little late, since I just found your blog, but I've been really happy with Land's End mastectomy swimsuits. They are often back ordered this time of year, and so I try to order them early!

ckuboushek78 said...

I'm so glad you were able to go to Key West with your husband! Vacations are what keep me sane during the year. Did you have a hard time finding a mastectomy swimsuit? My wife recently was diagnosed and has been looking around. I want her to feel comfortable at the beach! Let me know about your experience please!

Barbara said...

Have your wife check out some of the links in the blog post, above. Also, if she looks at the Swimsuit section on the BreastFree.org website, she'll find links to other swimsuit manufacturers. If there's a Nordstrom in your area, they will sew pockets for holding breast forms into their regular swimsuits. Also, if there's a lingerie store in your area that sells mastectomy products (breast forms and bras), they will almost certainly also carry swimsuits. Tell your wife not to despair. There are many options out there.

Anonymous said...

Land's End has really great mastectomy swimwear, and right now many are marked down for winter clearance at $5 a top and $4 a bottom!

Carey said...

SwimOutlet.com has a good selection of rash guards - long sleeve, short sleeve, and medium sleeve in all sorts of colors and styles. I needed to order one to cover my radiated side.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for such a concise, well written article on mastectomy swimwear. It has not been easy shopping online or elsewhere for suits, until I found your blog on this website. Fashions have gotten so much better now than when I had my mastec in 1977 (w/recon). Main dept. stores still lack a lot in what we want; why are they so dumb in this regard? While so many of us need these specific fashions, the dept stores could supply that need easily and make a ton of money as well. Best to all of us!

ljw said...

I came across this blog while looking for post mastectomy swimwear. I swim regularly and wanted something that was sporty looking and streamlined. I couldn't find anything that suited my needs in the various catalogues. Following your advice, I found a tankini with cups containing the small sponge foams. There was a tiny opening for them through which I could squidge my swimming prosthesis....and it's worked a treat. The prosthesis fitted snuggly and didn't slip and on the outside I looked fine. I felt really confident in the pool today. Thanks for the idea.

geezer-chick said...

I sewed a pocket into this bikini bra, using the seat area of an old pair of stockings. I wear a 34B on my one breast. This holds the prosthetic while I swim. http://www.lifestylesdirect.com/product.cfm/item/553.html

JN said...

This blog inspired me to look harder for "regular" swimsuits with removable pads. I am hard to fit as I wear size 0P. I wanted something for water exercise, and used to wear Speedo tanks suits without cups. I was happy to discover that Speedo carries suit style called Quantum Splice with "Hydro Bra" (removable pads/shelf bra style) that reminds me of my former tank suits -- and noted a customer review stating it worked perfectly with her swim prosthetic. Hope this option will help others in similar situations.

Anonymous said...

Having spent countless hours and hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars trying to find a swimsuit that properly holds my prostheses and does not look too matronly or too skimpy, I can highly recommend Anahata Swimwear! They are based in Wilmington, NC, but will soon be offering online ordering. All of their swimsuits are made-to-measure (custom fit) and many can be easily modified to accomodate swim forms. I just ordered my first suit and it is amazing! The fabrics are beautiful, and surprisingy, I was able to get a design that is not too high on the neckline but still covers everything that I need covered. The ladies at Anahata are so accommodating and dedicated to helping women feel confident. Consider calling or making an appointment if you're in the area - you will be so glad you did. You will pay a little more for these suits, but they are made just for you and the service is amazing. It is so nice to finally feel comfortable and confident at the beach or in the pool. Worth every penny!

https://www.anahataswimwear.com/blogs/news/now-providing-mastectomy-solutions

Anonymous said...

I surf and spend a lot of time in the water, but learned early on that a dive skin (basically a full-body spandex rashguard that zips up the front) is my absolute favorite thing to wear in the water because it means I don't need any sunscreen on 90% of my body. Originally designed for a different purpose, "dive" skins are now recognized to have a lot of other functions, too. Some people may ask why you're wearing a wetsuit if the water's warm, but once you show them it's just a thin layer and that it's for the sun, not the cold, they get it (and wish they had one, too). I wear it over a swimsuit and am so happy to be able to forget about sunburns. In thinking now about my swimwear options after mastectomy, I know that a dive skin will definitely part of it. You can get them from Henderson (they call them Hot Skins or "spandex skin suits," and they come in a variety of colors). The last one I had lasted about 15 years (always rinse with fresh water, dry out of the sun to keep it going as long as possible); I finally got a new one and love it just as much. I never go to the beach without it!